There is an order of operations that makes primary grade in SpeedGrade relatively easy. Here’s a short tutorial showing it:
And to recap:
- Use Contrast and Pivot to get your green channel into the proper range
- Use Offset to level the black point
- Use Temperature to line up the red and blue white point
- Use Magenta to line up the green white point
- Adjust Gain to taste
- Adjust Gamma for contrast and midtone color cast
- Tweak the Final Saturation to taste.
This way you avoid issues of various adjustments influencing one another, especially if you attempt to manipulate both Gain level, and color controls, or try to touch the Offset after you’ve established your white point.